Monday, March 16, 2015

THE GREATEST
MONDAY AFTER FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT 2015

Today is Mark 9:30-50 with Bishop Wright focusing on verses 33-41.

For some of us this is a classic exchange. Jesus tells them (again) that he is going to suffer and die, then as they are walking with him they debate among themselves who is the greatest disciple, and they share concern that other people are healing “in Jesus’ name.” Jesus responds by telling them they must become like children…and in fact it would be better to have a large bolder tied around their necks and then be cast into the sea, rather than lead a little child astray—now as an aside there is nothing cryptic in Jesus’ words.

One thing that we see over and over again in the Gospels is that the disciples had such a firm view in their minds about “the kingdom of God,” that they were unable to receive Jesus’ view of it. They kept expecting a worldly kingdom with power and palaces…Jesus’ vision is a kingdom of people with new hearts.

I (and maybe we the church) have a similar problem. It is a dilemma really. How do we witness Christ’s love to the world in an effective way and not fall into the trap of it, the church, becoming more important than inviting people to new life. I meet people all the time who quip that the Church is the problem. It is too caught up with protecting itself as an institution…and they go on with a long rant with how they just need their Bibles. But here is the deal…I have my Bible and all the teaching of the centuries because this behemoth of a thing, the Church, exists. Without the institution I would not have the instruments that led to my faith and nurture my faith…at least I do not think I would have them. My point is that to say the solution is to the throw out the institution, seems to me, well naïve.

Yet there is real tension. I work at a place that has a rich history. A place that is reportedly the fifth longest Cathedral in America and the twenty-seventh longest in the world. Now the fact that I know this fact…the fact that I was told this fact very early in my introduction to this beautiful place of worship…well it makes me wonder…and not just some days, but every day. I am not kidding—every day. The Cathedral, and the Church have in them the potential to witness God’s love to a world of darkness. The Cathedral, and the Church also have the potential to get too caught up in themselves. What “facts” am I telling people when they enter the Cathedral? I pray I am not telling them, “Look how great we are.”

Muhamad Ali claimed he was the greatest fighter in the world—it made (and makes) for such good entertainment. Amazingly talented he knew it was also about the show. But today we hear Jesus’ voice that it is not about the show…and it is not about being the greatest. The solution I think is always to keep our motivation in view. Am I motivated because I want the Cathedral all fixed up and perfect? OK so if that is my motivation, then how is Jesus proclaimed? That is the question for me…how do we each day offer our very best…and all the while pointing to Jesus…so that those who come after us have these same treasures.
Sorry no answers today…only continued pondering…but I would suggest avoiding millstones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment